Monday, April 15, 2013

The Future Mrs Mac!

I’m curious about the number three! Is it the third in a series of photographs or was Mum saying she was going to be the third Mrs McCormack! Dad’s Mum would be the first of course but who was the second? Dad had two brothers, Arthur and Leslie or Arth & Les. Uncle Les was the oldest I think and lived in Canada but I don’t know when he moved out there or when he got married? Uncle Arthur lived in Bebington not far from Port Sunlight but I know he married after Dad. So who was the second Mrs Mac or is this photo just the best of three?!

Mum has signed her name as Nance on the back of this photo. To me, Mum was always Mum, and if ever asked her name I would say Nancy. I've always been Dave to my family but I will refer to myself as David, as I did when I met Sarah, and to her and her family I have always been David. Sue used to call Mum Nance. Dad was called Mac by all his pals and by Mum and her sisters when he was in India. Auntie Doris never stopped calling him Mac. I think Mum was surprised to find out his name was Harry when Grandma first used his name in one of her early letters to her in India! I also know Dad called Mum Incy (Nancy Ince) before they were married! A couple of times when Dad was in hospital, and later when he was in a nursing home, I would have a word with the staff when I would see his name written down as Harold... “His name is not Harold it’s Harry, it says that on his birth certificate, have you seen his birth certificate, does it say Harold?” Of course I’ve never seen his birth certificate either, but my Dad was a Harry and I get my grumpiness from Harry, thanks Dad!

Mum
Back of above print

By the way, I'm not always grumpy and I have Nancy to thank for that, thanks Mum!

2 comments:

  1. i remember dad saying Les was in either Yugoslavia or Czekoslovakia during a massive earthquake..as i,ve said Les was a father figure to dad..there is a picture of dad aged about 14 in a cricket club poss Port Sun...Les i think was the coach...dads pumps were black!...Les had two children our cousins the elder was Phillip i never met him...but the younger a girl about my age can,t remember her name..she came up in the late 60s on the back of her boyfriends gt lambretta scooter ..they were dressed as classic mods and spoke with a strong London accent...they were both interested in astronomy and kept themselves in their own private world..i wonder if they married..anyway at that time Les was getting divorced and his new lady was Jewish...my cousin i think was not at all happy...Les came up to stay and i ignored him ..which really annoyed dad and he asked me who i was hanging out with and where i went as i often got really drunk and went to weekend paries...and grew my hair long!..my biggest crime!!!happy days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to see that photo of Dad in his black pumps and presumably his cricket whites! Have you got a scanner Rob?

    So is Arthur the youngest of the three brothers? Grandad Jack died when Dad was only nine so I can see why Les would have become a father figure. In one of his letters to Grandma (1945) Dad writes: “Our Les must have bags of money, buying a bungalow in Wales. What has he gone there for?” Anyone know anything about that? I will start posting some of Dad’s letters soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome from everyone who visits this blog, from family & friends and anyone who is interested in Port Sunlight or India or just enjoys looking at old photographs!

To leave a comment just type what you want in the comments box. When you have finished, you will need to select a profile before you can submit your comment. If you are signed up with Google, or any of the other accounts listed, then select your account and sign in and you can then submit your comment.

Alternatively, you can select Name/URL and type your name and if you want you can also add your website address if you have one. You can also comment anonymously if you want?! Just select Anonymous from the list.

When you have selected your profile, you can then click Publish. If you are not a contributor to this blog, then all comments are moderated first, before they are published.

Thanks.
David.