Friday, April 19, 2013

'Can I hav a horse please Dad.....pleeeeeease!!'




Strangely enough, as I'm writing this post, my youngest daughter Laura (author of A Poem for Nanny) was today pony trekking over the Wicklow mountains in Ireland, with her boyfriend Damir!  So the love for horse riding has been passed down the family line as both Kerry and Laura have done a fair share of horse riding over the years.
Ever since I was little, I wanted a horse.  My first ever lessons were with Howards riding school, Cross Lane near Wirral Grammar school. My favourite pony was called Pandora, and I rode every Sunday afternoon for 30 mins costing just 4 shillings. (20p)  I did eventually buy my own pony, two in fact....but that will be another story with more photos!
 Dave thinks this photo may have been taken in Wales and unfortunately I can't remember...but nowadays that's nothing new for me.  However I do remember riding whilst on holiday in Ilfracombe, but think that may well be another photo...hopefully which will appear on this blog sometime in the future? 
Dave's horse isn't camera shy - that's quite a smile there....or is it going for the camera man?!!
What a difference to nowadays riders - no riding hats with chin safety straps, no riding boots, and feet out of the stirrups!

1 comment:

  1. Don’t think I could have put my feet in those stirrups if I wanted too!! One day, when I’ve done all the others things I want to do!, I’m gonna ride me a Cumbrian Heavy Horse on the Duddon Sands!!, maybe! Look forward to hearing the stories about Husky & Barley (?)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome from everyone who visits this blog, from family & friends and anyone who is interested in Port Sunlight or India or just enjoys looking at old photographs!

To leave a comment just type what you want in the comments box. When you have finished, you will need to select a profile before you can submit your comment. If you are signed up with Google, or any of the other accounts listed, then select your account and sign in and you can then submit your comment.

Alternatively, you can select Name/URL and type your name and if you want you can also add your website address if you have one. You can also comment anonymously if you want?! Just select Anonymous from the list.

When you have selected your profile, you can then click Publish. If you are not a contributor to this blog, then all comments are moderated first, before they are published.

Thanks.
David.