Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Another family holiday!

Dad, Dave, Mum & Anne
Butlins 1968/9?

Gosh, as you say Dave...look at that ashtray, and both Mum and Dad are smoking yet another!!  Dad smoked Capstan full strength and Senior Service whilst Mum was more 'lady-like' with menthol Consulate.  Mum only smoked a couple a day but Dad was on 60 a day!  However when he was strongly advised by his Doctor to quit, he did....instantly!  He gave up one day and just stopped....such willpower.  That's when he started swimming in Woodchurch baths for his good health regime..  He would bring you with him? and then pick me up from the stables and carry on to the pool. 
I think this photo was taken in Butlins camp in Barry Island.  I remember we arrived late and having checked in, Dad took us all to the entertainment/ballroom for a drink and look around.
Mum knitted my red cardy and matching skirt on that knitting machine she had and used for years!
Don't we look like bookends the way we are both sitting!
Dad always took us away on a family holiday every year without fail.

3 comments:

  1. I didn’t think that was Blackpool Tower Ballroom! I do remember a trip to Blackpool and I think we did go to the Tower Ballroom to see Ken Dodd and his Diddymen?

    Yes, Dad did take me swimming at Woodchurch, I remember his big orange trunks! What a shame they closed down the pool at Port Sunlight. I also remember the pool at Byrne Avenue in Rock Ferry ‘burn-ave-baths’ Was it at Woodchurch, or maybe a holiday at Butlins/Pontins were Sue lost her wedding ring in the pool and everyone was diving to find it? Mum was so keen on those holidays wasn’t she... a way of bringing all her family together.

    Talking of being late, which I think Mum was always the cause of.. “I’ll be in the car” I can hear Dad say.. I remember we were always late when we went to the pictures. Dad would drop us outside the cinema and go park the car. By the time we went in the film had always started. “Excuse me, sorry, excuse me” In those days, the main feature would play over and over, and Dad would let us stay in our seats as the film started again. Then I would hear those immortal words “right, this is where we came in”!! “excuse me, sorry, excuse me........!!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I remember the films would just keep playing over and over. We would always stay to see the start of the film at the end, and then stand to leave just as others had sat down to see the start!! The cinemas then were called picture houses.

      Delete
  2. Just thinking, isn't it strange to think Mum never learnt to swim or drive! Could you imagine Mum driving a car?!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome from everyone who visits this blog, from family & friends and anyone who is interested in Port Sunlight or India or just enjoys looking at old photographs!

To leave a comment just type what you want in the comments box. When you have finished, you will need to select a profile before you can submit your comment. If you are signed up with Google, or any of the other accounts listed, then select your account and sign in and you can then submit your comment.

Alternatively, you can select Name/URL and type your name and if you want you can also add your website address if you have one. You can also comment anonymously if you want?! Just select Anonymous from the list.

When you have selected your profile, you can then click Publish. If you are not a contributor to this blog, then all comments are moderated first, before they are published.

Thanks.
David.