Monday, May 20, 2013

Are you coming or going?

My penultimate visit to 35 The Ginnel was last year with my wife Sarah. Mum was already living in a nursing home and we had gone to help Anne with the enormous task of sorting out Mum’s belongings.

Just before we left, Sarah took what could be the last couple of photos of number 35 while it was still in our family. I remember the weather that day and how I was feeling. The weather was cold, wet & miserable and my feelings were not too dissimilar. I can also tell you when these last photos of 35 The Ginnel were taken: Friday 13th July 2012, 7.26pm and the second photograph was taken 15 seconds later! That’s digital cameras for you!


35 The Ginnel, July 2012.
35 The Ginnel, July 2012.
The colour photo of me, Anne & Mum was printed in May 1967 according to the Kodak stamp on the back. According to the leafless trees though, I would say it was taken in January and I’ve concluded it was taken just before we set off to India. We were in India in February 1967 for my fifth birthday.

Rob was also in India for his birthday in February and, having read a postcard from Mum to Uncle Arthur (to wish him happy birthday!), I know they were there in 1954, so it would have been Rob’s third birthday. Comparing the photo of Rob & Keith outside The Ginnel with the one of them with Grandad in India, I would say they look to be about the same age. But the trees have got leaves on them this time so it must be summer so the photo must have been taken when they had just got back home?



Rob, Mum & Keith
35 The Ginnel, 1954.
Dave, Anne & Mum
35 The Ginnel, 1967.
Keith & Rob with Grandad Ince
Joville, India 1954.
But of course I could be completely wrong and the photos could have nothing to do with travelling to and from India. Mum could just be taking us all to church (I’d rather go to India... sorry Mum!) or just a special day out somewhere... particularly with Keith looking so smart.

I wonder if Mum ever did tell me why those photos were taken and where she was taking us? I can’t remember if she did. I can’t remember if I ever asked, I should have done when I had the chance. And if I did I should have written on the back of the print in a nice soft pencil so I wouldn’t be scratching my head now!

If you’ve got some old photos and you’ve got someone who can tell you about those old photos, then ask them now. And if you’re the one with the answers then get your soft pencil out! And if you have plenty of digital photos... then knowing the date and time is not enough!... learn how to add keywords and descriptions in Photoshop or some other similar software... and if that isn’t your thing... get all your digital photos printed and buy a pencil!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you pre-warned me about The Ginnel pics Dave! I still haven't been back there yet, but soon, I'm sure. However I'm so glad you took those last photos Sarah...I like seeing Mum's curtains still up (despite knowing they had been repaired many times due to Blackie's claws!) But there is something warming about seeing the Ginnel as it was, and also knowing at that time it was still our 'family home'. Pity digital cameras weren't around 50+ years ago, but perhaps Dave may not have been so inclined to start this blog!!!
    I have to agree with your detective work re. seasons and travel dates! Mum is wearing her 'Sunday best' coat so I too wonder if that was the day we set off for India? So it would have been Dad taking the photo? However we travelled throughout the night to London as I remember we had an overnight carriage with bunk beds in it.
    Incidentally, that's the Ebbrell's car in the background...a Mark 1 Ford Cortina if I remember correctly?!
    I hear myself constantly telling people now to write info on the bag of their photos, or even better to sit and go through photos with their parents/family and make notes of all their family history NOW whilst they can.
    I'm still sorting through the last few bits and pieces from that final day of closing the Ginnel, and only today I found a 'Grandparents history' book which was bought for both Mum and Dad possibly when Philip was born, in 2005. I had hoped they would have filled it in, but ironically that was the year Mum had her heart attack, and life for both Mum and Dad changed forever from that time onwards.
    So take heed all who read Dave's words above and my comments here....don't leave things 'til it's too late, act NOW!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome from everyone who visits this blog, from family & friends and anyone who is interested in Port Sunlight or India or just enjoys looking at old photographs!

To leave a comment just type what you want in the comments box. When you have finished, you will need to select a profile before you can submit your comment. If you are signed up with Google, or any of the other accounts listed, then select your account and sign in and you can then submit your comment.

Alternatively, you can select Name/URL and type your name and if you want you can also add your website address if you have one. You can also comment anonymously if you want?! Just select Anonymous from the list.

When you have selected your profile, you can then click Publish. If you are not a contributor to this blog, then all comments are moderated first, before they are published.

Thanks.
David.