Saturday, January 25, 2014

Proud to have lived in the village...

...and if you must know it’s thirteen minutes past two!

Sarah and I moved house a few months ago. We’re new to the village but not to South Lakes.

Whenever we meet someone new, be it the Postmaster jogging on the Fell or a neighbour on the bus so overcome with excitement for meeting us that he tells everyone who gets on the bus who we are, we always get asked where in the village we live and where do we come from. I’m never sure what people want to know. I usually say we’re from Cark (over the hill). Should I say Sarah was born in Africa and me Port Sunlight? I could say we lived in Scotland before moving to Cumbria or that we ‘us’ are from Wakefield or should I just say we weren’t born here? I think that's what they really want to know. Sarah keeps telling me I get a bit defensive.

We walk a lot and I love maps. If we stop to study a map it isn’t long before I hear “Are you lost?” and as loud as I can shout I reply “NO WE LIVE HERE AND I LIKE LOOKING AT MAPS!", defensive I know. Guess I just want folk to know that yes, we’ve just moved into the village but no, we are not new to the area. Dad lived in Port Sunlight all his life (apart from his army days) and although Mum was born in India she lived in the village for the best part of 60 years. I wonder where she said she was from when asked?

Once we’ve got past where one entered this world and where we got married and “no we don’t have children”, I usually declare we live in Ash House... “You mean Mrs Bennet’s house?” I now just say we live in Mrs Bennet’s house!

Mum’s house (our old home) number 35, has a new tenant in it now. I think it’s a lady who lives there and I wonder (hope) if, when asked where she lives and she says 35 The Ginnel, the person enquiring says “You mean Mrs McCormack’s house!”

Anyway, from now on I think I’ll just answer “I’m from PORT SUNLIGHT” to whatever question I’m asked........ “Excuse me, do you know what the time is?” No, I’m from Port Sunlight............


(photo titles on the Port Sunlight page)




Thirteen minutes past two!



2 comments:

  1. Looking at these 'photos is the first time for quite a while that I've 'seen' Port Sunlight! As you said in 'A visit to the Village', I too would expect to see Mum standing in the window of 35 The Ginnel, which is why I haven't been back just yet.
    And when asked, Mum never ever once said she was from India!!, I wonder if she ever said 14 Windy Bank!?
    So where did you say you are from again Dave!!! (personally, I'd refrain from using the term 'over the hill'!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very clever perceptive comment Anne!!........... I only published my post at 2:13pm today but your comment is at 11:44am this morning!! :-))

      Interesting about Mum not saying she was from India. I guess she wanted people to know she was not Indian, especially if on the telephone and not in person, but she could have said she was born there which I think is different to saying you are from somewhere? Also interesting to think if she ever said she was from Windy Bank.

      When I stood outside number 14 taking my photos I was hoping someone would come out and ask what I was doing! I almost did knock. Would have loved to explain my connection to the house.

      Pleased to know you don’t think I’m ‘over the hill’!

      Delete

Comments are welcome from everyone who visits this blog, from family & friends and anyone who is interested in Port Sunlight or India or just enjoys looking at old photographs!

To leave a comment just type what you want in the comments box. When you have finished, you will need to select a profile before you can submit your comment. If you are signed up with Google, or any of the other accounts listed, then select your account and sign in and you can then submit your comment.

Alternatively, you can select Name/URL and type your name and if you want you can also add your website address if you have one. You can also comment anonymously if you want?! Just select Anonymous from the list.

When you have selected your profile, you can then click Publish. If you are not a contributor to this blog, then all comments are moderated first, before they are published.

Thanks.
David.